Sit-at-home has Ended in South East Through ‘Operation UDOKA’ -COAS
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja, has said the sit-at-home across the South-East states has ended.
IPOB in August 2021 commenced the sit-at-home order to demand the release of its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, from prison.
It will be recalled that the Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, had previously declared an end to all sit-at-home, including the Monday sit-at-home and any other day aimed at pressuring the Federal Government to release him from detention.
Kanu made the declaration in his own handwritten letter, which he authorised his special counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, to read out to journalists in Enugu last July.
In the letter Kanu unequivocally stated that anyone henceforth engaging in sit-at-home is no longer his disciple.
The letter was dated July 24. Ejimakor, who read the letter, said it followed the alleged refusal of Simon Ekpa, the Prime Minister of Biafra Republic Government in Exile (BRGIE), to announce the cancellation and further declaration through his media platforms.
In the letter Kanu, however, warned Ekpa to “desist from calling for any sit-at-home henceforth” and “to make a public announcement to the effect that he (Mazi Simon Ekpa) is in receipt of a direct order from him (Mazi Nnamdi Kanu) to cancel any pending sit-at-home in place at the moment”.
But speaking at the COAS combined second and third quarters conference in Abuja on Tuesday, Lagbaja said the menace ended as a result of the heightened efforts of his men and collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
Through Operation Udo Ka, our troops have, in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders, put an end to the infamous sit-at-home order that has almost crippled socio-economic activities in the Region.